Thursday, February 8, 2007

bloggers and journalists

Thinking about the difference between bloggers and journalists, I came across an article online, which you can also read here: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2077969,00.asp

In the article, it mentioned how bloggers who write about Microsoft received gifts of laptops through the courtesy of Microsoft hoping that these bloggers would be impressed enough to write good reviews about them.

The author of the article, John Pallatto, also mentioned that product reviewers of print and online publishers have corporations lend them stuff to test latest software, but with the understanding that the products needed to be returned unless they have a reason to keep it, they would pay for it. However, the bloggers had no such obligation but have to know that they are compromising their objectivity and honesty. Pallatto also said that "bloggers as well as journalists have an obligation either to refuse such handouts, or if they do accept them to disclose it to readers so that they can judge whether or not their articles are objective enough to be believed."

I've also heard somewhere that journalists, in general, should refuse gifts and money...

How ethical do you think this is? Also, do you think bloggers should learn about journalism ethics?

Personally, I don't think it's right for independent bloggers to accept such gifts with no obligation to return it because I would think that their reviews about the products would be good considering they got them for free. However, I'm still not sure about the difference between bloggers and journalists and if bloggers would be accounted for unethical acts.

1 comment:

....J.Michael Robertson said...

A first-rate problem. In fact, I think a question about such dilemmas will be our next blog question!!